So how does this Plant subscription thing work?
Welcome to gardening built for your busy lifestyle. We keep things interesting and simple with our monthly installment of container garden plants + planters.
- Subscription runs from May-October (six months of plants)
- You'll receive a large planter every month filled with an edible + beautiful plant
- Plants arrive in sturdy, compostable containers; plants may be re-potted or left in their pots or set in a decorative container--up to you!
With your 2023 plant subscription, you’ll get to experience a new plant every month, from edible flowers, to cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, and more! Think of it as your perfect introduction to gardening. From your porch. Or deck. Or even driveway.
Six months of plant bliss
- In May, kick off the spring with a gorgeous lettuce sampler
- June is great for mini cucumbers (these potted plants produced better than our in-ground cucumbers last year!)
- July's aromatic basil blend lends itself to stir fries, caprese, and even lemonade + cocktails (try a few sprigs of lemon basil in your next drink)
- August is high time for our cute cherry tomato baskets. They thrive in the heat and are perfect on kebabs
- September brings mum-style marigold planters, as a way to *slowly* usher in the fall
- October's cooler temps are ideal for flowering, ornamental (but still edible) kale. Beauty that will last through November!
Questions? Check out our FAQ below or send us a message!
Plant Based Porch is a monthly gardening subscription.
Basically, we provide you with a planter every month, filled with a plant grown from seed by us, organic growing mix, and a compostable container.
Our goal is to share the joy of growing food with everyone; even if you don't have a large space to devote to a big garden!
Our 2023 Plant Menu:
- in may, kick off the spring with a gorgeous lettuce sampler
- june is great for mini cucumbers (these potted plants produced better than our in-ground cucumbers last year!)
- july's aromatic basil blend lends itself to stir fries, caprese, and even lemonade + cocktails (try a few sprigs of lemon basil in your next drink)
- august is high time for our cute cherry tomato baskets. they thrive in the heat and are perfect on kebabs
- september brings mum-style marigold planters, as a way to *slowly* usher in the fall
- october's cooler temps are ideal for flowering, ornamental (but still edible) kale. beauty that will last through november!
*Please note, due to circumstances beyond our control, it is possible that we might have to substitute or swap the planned plants for another month. That is the 'adventure' of growing plants. However, we will stick to the menu as much as it depends on us. Each selection matches Iowa's typical weather pattern and complements other seasonally available food.
Plant Based Porch subscriptions are available for pick up at our farm in Waukee, or for $5/month extra, we will deliver to your location (within our delivery radius). Our farm is conveniently located off of Ute Ave. to allow for easy pick up. We will email to arrange pick up and delivery!
A plant grown from seed at our farm, organic growing mix, and a compostable plant container. Along with care instructions, a recipe, and the occasional bonus!
Don't worry! The best bet is to find a south-facing side of your home, or an area in full sun (or an area that receives at least six hours of direct sunlight). This might be your side yard, deck, or even driveway.
Our initial subscription includes monthly plants from May-October (six months/six installments). The cost is $25/month. Delivery is available for an additional $5/month to the Waukee/West Des Moines area.
This is up to you! Once you receive your new set of plants, you may choose to compost your previous plants (and their liners), or you may choose to place them in another pot/container, or even plant them in the ground. Plants and liners are 100% organic* and compostable!
*We are not Certified Organic, however we do not use any synthetic chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides, or anything GMO.
No problem! Just send us an email and we will figure out an alternative. If you are planning to be gone for several weeks, you may designate a friend/neighbor to receive your plant that month. Alternately, let us know and we can donate the plants to one of our community food donation spots or donation gardens.
Since we are running Plant Based Porch as a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, your membership is a commitment to support our farm throughout the duration of the program (May-October 2023). Because plants take time to grow, your participation and fee allow us to plan by purchasing seeds + growing materials, as well as start the plants so they'll be ready for you.
If, for some reason, you are not satisifed with your experience, please get in touch.